GOP Overreaction?

Texas Gov. Rick Perry, right, leans over to kiss Rep. Linda Harper-Brown, R-Irving, left, during his visit to the session in the Texas House of Representatives Wednesday, May 20, 2009, in Austin, Texas. (AP Photo/Harry Cabluck)Just when we think we’ve risen above the petty thin skins and oversensitivities of the easily ruffled left, Republicans get all bent hearing what they want to hear instead of what was said.

A comment by a strategist for Gov. Rick Perry that the Republican Party shouldn’t act like a brothel to lure new voters has infuriated prominent GOP women in Texas and given Perry’s primary rival, U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, fuel for their election fight.

Perry is trying to distance himself from the remark, published in The Dallas Morning News, by consultant David Carney, who said he agreed the Republican Party needed to attract new voters. But, he added, “that doesn’t mean you take your principles and throw them out the door and become a whorehouse and let anybody in who wants to come in, regardless.”

Former Republican National Committee member Denise McNamara is leading a group of GOP women demanding that Perry apologize for and repudiate the comment.

Personally, I don’t see anything wrong with what Carney said and those Republican women creating all this drama need find something else worthy of the hysterics.

Seattle at Chicago - 1pm Fox

• Bears (54%, 22 Votes)
  • Seahawks (46%, 19 Votes)

Total Voters: 41

Loading ... Loading ...

1. Eric

The only people who should be offended by that statement are whores. On memorial day KBH usually comes to Houston to speak at the V.A. National cemetary here, I hope I get a chance to speak to her like I did 2 years ago.

2. Palmetto

Crowhorse, that about sums up my feelings on it also. I think his analogy was just fine and I took absolutely no offense either.

3. crowhorse

I think I would only be offended if I was personally called a whore. Otherwise, who cares?

What he said is pretty fitting, though, if not “politically correct”.

4. DarcsFalcon

As a woman, this is shameful behavior. I think the women getting all upset over this are RINO’s, because what the guy said is true.

5. Ilion

Marla:Bah! Women shouldn’t even vote sometimes they’re so stupid. And I’m a woman!

The 19th Amendment was a mistake, it seems to me. So many of our current problems as a nation and as a society either trace directly to that amendment or were/are made worse by it.

Yet, at the same time, not all women are hysteriacs. But, our grandfathers could hardly have allowed only some women to vote.

And, of course, far too many men … and especially since the on-going feminization of our society … ought not vote either.

6. PB-in-AL

@louie, I agree. This coming from Texas actually seems a bit mild. Aside from that, why would women-in-general take offense at this statement. The only ones offended would be the RINOs.

Well, I suppose if the shoe fits….

7. louielouie

i couldn’t vote because i didn’t see a *all the above* box.
    KBH imo is part of what’s wrong with conservatism.
    say what you mean and if the others don’t like it they can go to hell.
    this is texas afterall.

8. The Machine

Kinda like how I get to feel about my black folks, Marla…

9. Marla

This is as ridiculous as women insisting on being called Chairwoman – that’s a TITLE! They’re obviously not a chair!

People can’t make metaphors anymore? This is GOP-sponsored thought-police hysteria?

Bah! Women shouldn’t even vote sometimes they’re so stupid. And I’m a woman!

Honestly it makes feel bad to be associated with these knuckleheads by gender.